Friday, April 16, 2010

Hello everybody

My wife and I have a private joke that has saved us from quite a few fights. It is called "random thoughts", and I give my survival instinct all the credit for it development.

It happens that we love to talk; we talk in the car; we talk while we shop; we talk while having dinner; we talk when we go to bed. In fact, we won't shut up. You must think we have amazing and meaningful conversations; that we are capable of following the subject and pay close attention to whatever the matter of our conversation is; that we extract all the juice to our endless talks, and that, my friend, is not the reality...

Truth is: more often than what you would think is humanly possible, if we're in the middle of discussing our financial situation, she would say "don't forget to buy bananas tomorrow". Or if the subject of our conversation is how good or bad her daughter is doing in soccer, she would surprise me with an absolutely unexpected "thank God I have a massage tomorrow". When we go to bed she asks how my day was; if I made money or lost, if I had some deep runs, etc. When I start to summarize my day, she can turn around, grab skin lotion, and absolutely unaware of the fact that I am speaking, she will ask me to put some lotion on her back...


I am not 100% innocent, and every once and then I have my own share of random thoughts (although, I must say the ratio is close to 9:1 on her favor), and I can try to tell her who won the 1K Monday... while she's getting ready to work in the morning, yelling to her daughter to hurry up, and trying to remember where she left the class room keys. Is important to let you know that she is an avid poker player, and knows who is who in the poker world; so I guess is not that weird if I try to engage in a conversation about how good Apestyles ran yesterday night, or that my friend Ross missed the same final table for 57th time... despite being 8:45AM, when she is supposed to be at school at 8:30.

One day I started to call those derailments "random thoughts", and instead of getting upset realizing that your couple is not paying as much attention to your words as you wish she were, you can just have your good laughs calling her out on it, and that's exactly what we do now. I don't get upset anymore thinking that "my wife doesn't listen to me", I just take a break from my seriousness, and love her for being so spontaneous and not giving a shit about what I was saying...

After 3 years of getting involved in as many disputes as I possible could in poker forums, I find myself not interested in keep doing it anymore. And it is not because I have lost my love for the game, which is greater than ever...it is because I don't feel like digging for gold anymore, trying to find 1-2 worthy posts in the sea of worthlessness that flows the forums nowadays. I don't want to read about folding KK preflop to a min-re-raise; or how to find a backer; or if it is normal to lose 20 buy ins playing STT's; or how good Moorman runs (hey, we all know that, thanks for the news); or how rigged online poker is; or why did AJKHoosier made this HORRIBLE CALL FOR 3BB's in the Sunday Million; or what should I play with my 125$ roll. People repeats subjects ad nauseam, there are few to none interesting topics to follow, and to top it all, places like P5's have a nazi mod squad dying for banning any voice that sounds different. I want to say what I want, when I want, and how I want. I want my random thoughts not to be banned, punished, moderated, tamed, violated.


I am guilty of having posted important amounts of worthless lines on the net, and I'm pretty sure I have not finished doing so... but from now on I'll do my best to keep said lines in the limits of my own space (this blog), and to don't feed other people's unworthiness with my reactions. This is part of the new me as a poker player as well, but we'll go over that in future editions.

Welcome all, let's have some fun, make money and pick up the cuttest girl (I already got mine).

Andres

No comments:

Post a Comment